Les Dames d’Escoffier International (LDEI) is awarding nine cash prizes totaling $2,450 for its 2018 M.F.K. Fisher Awards. In addition to the $1000 cash prize, the grand prize winner will receive an expenses-paid trip to LDEI’s Annual Conference at the Renaissance Seattle Downtown Hotel in Seattle, Washington, October 11-12, to attend the awards presentation.
The M.F.K. Fisher Awards for Excellence in Culinary Writing are named for lauded culinary writer Mary Frances Fisher, considered one of America’s greatest food writers and appreciated for quotes such as “First we eat, then we do everything else.” Through these awards, LDEI recognizes and showcases excellence in culinary writing.
Eligible entries may be from three categories: books, print (magazines, newspapers, newsletters), and Internet published articles.
- Entries must have been published in 2017, be nonfiction and may include analytical pieces, autobiographical explorations and forays into culinary history.
- Entries must be no longer than 2,000 words.
- Entries are judged on writing, knowledge of subject matter, topic, relevance and creative approach.
The awards are presented to women writers whose work:
- reflects creativity and insight
- illuminates the pivotal roles of food, beverages and the arts of the table
- and/or contributes to our knowledge of those who grow, produce or prepare nourishment
The deadline for submissions is March 31, 2018.
For complete details of the awards and online registration, go to http://www.ldei.org/index.php?com=awards&c=how_to_enter_mfk
The M.F.K Fisher Awards judges include editors, authors, educators and other food professionals who are leaders in their field and not members of LDEI.
Les Dames d’Escoffier is a by-invitation philanthropic organization of women leaders in the fields of food, fine beverage and hospitality. Over 2,300 members in 40 chapters worldwide provide leadership and educational opportunities in their communities. For more information, go to: LDEI.org.
Source: Les Dames d’Escoffier International (LDEI)