New female CEO pledges to rebuild trust as partners sever ties with Besh Restaurant Group
Famed chef and restaurateur John Besh stepped down as CEO of the multiconcept restaurant group he co-owns on Monday following reports by the New Orleans Times-Picayune alleging rampant sexual harassment at his company.
In addition, Harrah’s New Orleans casino on Monday said it is terminating its relationship with Besh following the reports, saying its Besh Steak restaurant would be renamed.
An article in the Times-Picayune on Oct. 21 outlined charges of sexual harassment from 25 current and former employees of the Besh Restaurant Group, or BRG, following an eight-month investigation.
The women — nine of whom were identified by name — worked in BRG restaurants or in the corporate office, and described a company where several male co-workers and supervisors allegedly touched female employees without consent, made suggestive comments about their appearance and, in some cases, tried to leverage positions of authority for sex.
In a letter to BRG employees on Monday, Shannon White, previously the company’s chief operating officer, said she will assume the role of CEO, effective immediately, replacing Besh, who stepped down to focus on his family.
Source: Restaurant Hospitality